Monday, March 28, 2011

Life, it's meaning???

My Monday morning started off with a bang! Sad and scary news from a student sent me diving into action before I even entered my office. But it got me thinking...

I also watched the Samoan movie, Broken Promises Part I & II, and it also dealt with the idea of suicide. By the way, this is directly tied into my Monday morning start, just so you all know I'm not rambling or going crazy. Well, the crazy part is questionnable, but rambling, certainly not.

That brings me to my question: What is the meaning of life?
*From a mother's perspective, I can tell you that it is an amazing, ongoing experience! A neverending love of a life (or lives) that are directly tied with your own. A feeling of connection with another living being that goes beyond anything normal or even explained. Something that stands the test of time.
*From a Humanities instructor's perspective, life has many meanings depending on what you read. Some people see life as a means to accomplish a goal. Some see it as time given to them to help those in need. Others just want to 'live it to the fullest'.
*From a Polynesian standpoint, life is a gift that is given to not only you, but to your family because you are a representation of your ancestors. Life is time given to you to become a master of a trade, a leader of your family, a supporter, a mentor, a giver of more life.

Life is not easy. But if it were easy, what would we learn? HOW would we learn? My heart will always go out to those who choose to not continue their life, but it cries even more for those who have to witness the act or feel the loss of that other person.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; But often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
---Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment