Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Introduction

Talofa and welcome to my blog on Polynesia! This will be a wonderful place to showcase my stories and also reflect on issues facing Polynesians who live in and out of the islands. I was born and raised in American Samoa to a Samoan dad and a palagi (Caucasian) mom. Even though I'm only biologically half Samoan, everything I do, say, the way I conduct myself, etc., reflects my Samoan culture. Of course, this is no offense to my mom who has always called me her "Samoan girl". I have had the pleasure and the honor of learning about other Polynesian cultures by teaching a class at the local community college and by personal experiences with family and friends. Hopefully I'll be able to reflect on the positive side of the Polynesian cultures and possibly spread understanding and enlightenment to those who are vaguely aware of who we are and what we are about; Polynesians, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment