Tuesday, January 2, 2018

No Entry (A Year of Writing Prompts)


            “Ma’am, you can’t go in there,” the large security guard blocked the entrance with his enormous body, hand on his baton.

            I looked at him confused and angry.

            “That’s my family,” I yelled balling my fists ready to try to run through him.  I knew that would be impossible.  I mean, I could run into him but certainly not through him.  The guard was built like a solid mass of flesh, bones, and muscle.  He looked like he was about 6’8”, maybe even 6’9”.  I’m not a short female.  I’m 5’10” and my older brother is 6’6” but I was almost looking straight up to see this guy’s face.  His expression left no room for arguing but I was going to take my chances.

            “That’s my family,” I tried to swallow my panic and tone down my decibel level.  I opened my hands to show I was calm but none of it worked.

            “Ma’am, I have orders to not let you in,” the guard replied with no expression.

            Good thing my arms are long because even with his height I didn’t have to tiptoe to give him a solid, open handed slap on his face.

            “I know you’re only taking orders, but you are welcome to pass that on to whomever is giving them,” I hissed. 

            I smelled his cologne before I heard his voice behind me.

            “Will you follow me, please?” his formal British accent made me picture one of the royal family members with a designer suit, perfect hair, and pale skin.  When I turned around I found I was correct about everything except his skin, which was brown, with an added groomed goatee.  His sympathetic ebony colored eyes weakened my resolve to somehow move the bulldozer of a guard and rush through the doors.  I followed him silently not looking back. 

We walked down the hallway then turned right at the next intersection.  The whole building was bright with artificial lighting and I felt my skin glimmer eerily.  I wondered if we entered a dark room whether I would glow.  That would be kind of fun, I thought.  I don’t know how long I had been in this building with its cold lighting, endless hallways, and locked doors but I was starting to go crazy.

I watched this polished man as he walked with precision, back straight, eyes forward, total confidence exuding from every pore.  His cologne reminded me of going to the dance clubs and meeting some of the wealthier patrons.  Their colognes were subtle, but the scent stuck to your cheek after they kissed it.  It was comforting to smell nice the rest of the night although a little difficult to explain to the husband when I got home.  It didn’t help that I worked as a bartender. I could almost sympathize with the security guard I slapped.  Our poor bouncers would have to deal with wannabe patrons, most of whom couldn’t even afford more than one drink in our establishment, but wanted to be able to tell their friends they rubbed elbows with the elite.  Our bouncers were actually giant teddy bears, but they had a job to do and they did it well despite the abuse they endured.  Their paychecks certainly made up for everything and they were happy.  I started to feel bad that I slapped the guard until we reached a large, glass window. 

My tour guide stopped, and I looked inside to see a family huddled together in a corner.  Their eyes were round saucers.  My heart stopped as I thought about my family just on the other side of that door just down the hall.  Instinct told me to run and take the security guard by surprise, but my guide must have sensed my plans because he touched my elbow lightly and nodded toward a green door just a few steps away.  Confused, I followed him again.  The sign on the green door said, “No Entry,” yet the guide took a key out of his pocket and unlocked it.  I heard a series of bolts sliding throughout the door and just as suddenly, the sound stopped.  The door opened slowly on its own.  My refined guide gestured for me to enter.

“Is this where my family is being held,” I asked naively. 

He didn’t answer, just smiled and continued to point me in the direction of the room he just unlocked.  I knew there was nothing more I could do so I walked into the darkness beyond.  The green door closed softly behind me and everything became pitch black.  I didn’t have to wait for my eyes to try to adjust as lighting on the floor illuminated a hallway and I could barely see another door at the end.  I couldn’t go back through the green door as there was no door handle on my side.  Even though the floor looked flat, I found myself hiking upward.  By the time I reached the door at the other end, I was panting from the exercise.

This door was black and in white letters a warning read “No Entry.”  Having no other choice, I turned the knob and threw open the door.  If there was anyone on the other side, they would be surprised and hopefully stunned by the force.  I heard the door hit a wall and by some miracle it didn’t swing back to hit me in the face.  Good thing, too, since I was too stunned to move.

The sun was shining brightly, I could hear waves crashing a short distance away, and the smell of gardenias was heavy in the air.  I stumbled on the small set of stairs leading out.  As soon as I was clear of the building, the black door slammed shut.  Then there was nothing.  No door, no steps, no building.  Nothing.  I fell to my knees crying.  My family!

“Hon,” I heard a voice just above me.  I looked up in disbelief and saw my husband standing there, smiling, with his hand held out to help me up.  My girls were just behind him, also smiling, with towels in their hands and their bathing suits on. 

“Come on, Mom!  We’re ready to go swimming!”

My husband looked at me concerned.  “Are you okay?” he asked quietly as he dried my tears with his towel.

I nodded silently, took his outstretched hand, and followed them to the beach.  When I looked back to where the black door was located just a few seconds before, I saw our van.  Just beyond, in the tree line, a sign read, “No Entry.”

My husband smiled.  “This is our private beach, now.  The sign is to keep people away.”

I put my head on his shoulder as we reached the sand and our girls dropped their towels as they rushed to jump into the gentle waves.  My family.  I thought I had lost them.  But they were right here all along. 








































No comments:

Post a Comment